Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Draw Near

Do you ever feel like God is too far away? Do you ever feel like He has forgotten you?

I have been reminded in the last few days, that God's Presence is all around me all the time. So, even on the days when I don't feel like God is anywhere in sight, He is there. Even on the days when I feel all alone, He is there. Even on the days when everything is going wrong and I can not sense His presence, yep He is there.

The reality is our feelings should not determine our faith. Our feelings are fickle. They change based on our circumstances. One day our feelings are up and then the next thing you know they are down.

So how do we live a life of faith that is not based on our feelings. The answer is really quite simple. We have to know the truth. Jesus is The Truth and we must draw near to Him. One of the promises in God's Word is if we draw near to Him, He will draw near to us. (James 4:8)

I have been trying to meditate on that one truth today, "Draw near to Him."

My husband just called me from the ball field to say that I needed to come with the extra key to his car. Our son locked the keys in the trunk. I said okay, but then I realized that I saw the extra key in the console of my husbands car. I know, it is a really great place to keep the extra key. I had to call him back and tell him that I did not have the extra key. I could just feel the stress coming on as I flipped through the phonebook looking for a locksmith. With every turn of the page, all I could think of was dollar signs. And then that voice inside said, "Draw near to me." "In the midst of the chaos of this moment, think of Me." And that is just what I did. I did not allow the stress of the situation to take me down a path that I did not want to go.

It was a great reminder to me that my feelings do not dictate my faith. The above situation could have turned our very differently if I had given in to my feelings in a moment of stress.

I encourage you to draw near to Him and trust in His promise that He will draw near to you.


post signature

No comments: