Monday, September 1, 2008

He Knows Their Name...

Sunday, our church was privileged to have the Uganda Children's Choir with us. These children are orphans and are here in the states raising money to build their new orphanage. They sing and dance and are truly amazing.

They came in through the back of the church and came down the aisles singing. It was such a wonderful, beautiful sound. They took the stage and began to dance. I was trying to fight back the tears.

Their skin was flawless and each face contained the most beautiful smile. They finished the first song and a little girl on the far left said her name and that they were glad to be here.

They went down the row (three rows in total) and each shared their name...Sharon, Jeffrey, Godfrey, Jennifer, Whitney, Simon, Margaret, Edith...just to name a few.

God grabbed my heart so tightly and whispered "and I know them each by name." More tears came than I could blink back. The reality of what I heard in my heart hit me. God knows each one of those precious, beautiful children by name.

God is aware of their suffering. He is aware that many are alone with no living relatives left. He is aware of the conditions in which they live.

I have often wondered why God allows such poverty in the world. And after Sunday, I believe I understand a little better. I believe it is so that Christians can have a chance to do something about it. We have a chance to make our religion "pure and faultless" by not turning away but by doing something.

James 1:27 "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."

As I read this verse, I am struck by the words "polluted by the world." It doesn't take long for the world's pollutants to rub off on us. We live in a constant state of excess.

I am not saying that having stuff is wrong. I think that sometimes God blesses with material things. But the blessings were never meant to just make us more comfortable. We were blessed so that now we have more to give.

We forget that!

No comments: