Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Mirror Does Not Define Me!

Last weekend, I had the priviledge of attending the Girls Night Out with Anita Renfroe and Mandisa. It was a wonderful evening full of laughter and even a few tears. You know you have had a great girls night out when you can say that you laughed and cried.

Mandisa had several great t-shirts for sale. One of my favorites was the one that stated "The Mirror Does Not Define Me!" I first saw if while we were waiting in line to enter. A young girl on crutches behind me was wearing it. Her hair was very short and later I learned that she was battling cancer. I don't know about you, but if you have ever struggled with image issues this shirt speaks volumes. I spent many a year looking in the mirror and being unhappy with the image staring back at me. Over the last year, I have really enjoyed my freedom from the mirror and learning that it does not define me.

Yesterday I went in a store and decided to browse through their dresses. I love the new styles that have the ruffles around the collars. Some were even sporting a few flowers in with the ruffles. I decided that I would go for it and try a few of these dresses on. I knew that the lack of structure in the dress would not work well for me, but the ruffles drew me in. To be honest, I should have sold tickets to the fitting room show because it was quite entertaining. I do not have a body that can wear just anything. I have some issues, if you know what I mean, and some of my issues need hiding. There were no hiding places in these dresses. So needless to say I came home empty handed except for the small victory I was carrying in my heart.

It wasn't too long ago that a dressing room episode like the one I had yesterday would have sent me to my hiding places to seek the comfort of food. But yesterday as I looked in the mirror dressed in the ill-fitted garments I said aloud...The Mirror Does Not Define Me! These clothes not fitting me does not define me. And then my mind began to run away with the truth of who I really am...dearly loved, forgiven, the apple of His eye and the list goes on and on. So I want to encourage you today to look at what is defining you. Are you being defined by the truth or are you being fooled by lies.

post signature

No comments: