Tuesday, October 21, 2008

To Do List...

I am not a To Do List-er. On the rare occasion that I did create a list, I would usually loose it or not get anything on it done, which made me feel bad. So, I decided a while ago that I was not going to write out any more lists.

I do however, create lists in my brain. Oh, and they are grand and full of hope. I still don't always get the things on my list done, but it helps keep me focused without adding the guilt of others seeing that I didn't get anything checked off.

Well, this week I read an article about Indianapolis Colts punter Hunter Smith and his family. He loves football, but loves God more. In the article his wife, Jennifer, said something that really made me think. This is what she said on the subject of church and quiet time with God.

"I don't really feel like I have to make Him a priority; I feel like He's a desire. He's not on a checklist of things to do, He's just who we want to be with. It just has to be that way in order for life to make sense."

Wow!

Does that challenge you like it challenges me?

Since I read the article, I have been thinking if I could say the same thing. Do I sometimes make God and spending time with Him a line on my imaginary To Do List? Oh, I hope not but the reality of it is that sometimes I do.

This morning in my prayer time I asked God to forgive me for treating Him like an obligation. He is so much more than that to me. I told Him that I wanted to desire Him above all other things. I want Him to be my passion.

What about you...Is He your passion or just another obligation?



No comments: