Thursday, October 30, 2008

My Plate Is Full!

Have you ever felt like you took on more than you could handle?

Well, can I just tell you that this sister's eyes were way bigger than her stomach!

In May I left my full time job and now I am staying home full time, working part time from my house. Well, we all know that the staying home part is more than a full time job. And when you add to that all the volunteer things I am doing now...well it makes me tired just thinking about it.

Do you know what we have to be careful of?

We have to be careful that we don't let our busyness distract us from the things that are most important.

I know I can sometimes get carried away doing. Can you relate?

I was reminded tonight of the story of Mary and Martha. If you remember Martha was busy doing and Mary was just sitting at Jesus' feet listening. Martha complained to Jesus and wanted Him to tell Mary to get up and help her.

I want to be Mary, but here lately I see a lot of Martha in me.

I love how Jesus answers Martha in Luke 10:41-42 "Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."

Basically, Jesus was telling her that all the good stuff she was running herself ragged doing wasn't the best things she should be doing. And on top of that, all the "doing" was making her worried and upset.

Boy if I didn't know better, I would think my name was Martha. What a lesson I can learn from these sisters.

Heavenly Father, please keep me mindful of the things that are most important. Help me to set aside time to just sit at your feet. And Lord please help me to not over do it with my doing. Amen.

post signature

No comments: