Monday, October 3, 2011

The Count Down Has Begun

The count down has officially begun for our trip to Africa. In twenty four days, I will be taking off from Atlanta headed to Uganda. I am very excited but as the days get closer I find myself getting a little nervous.

This is my first time out of the country and my first time being on an airplane for so long. We fly from Atlanta to Amsterdam and then from Amsterdam to Uganda. Each leg is about eight hours. I'll be honest and tell you that I really try not to think about that too much.

I know in my heart that all the worries and anxious feelings will melt away the first time I wrap my arms around one of the children. I just hope I can let go!

On Sunday of our trip we will visit an orphanage located on a small island. We will have to take a boat ride to get there. They have told us that this is the poorest of the poor. We were then told that the children have to sleep in the grass.

I know that sentence just needs a minute to sink in.

There are children that have no place to sleep and therefore must sleep outside in the grass, everyday. I am overwhelmed at the reality of this. My heart hurts when I think about these poor children. What can I, a white woman from Georgia, offer these children? How can I help them?

I can do nothing... but I know Hope! I know the One who knows each of those children by name and knows the very hairs on their heads. So I pray that as I hug those sweet babies and maybe paint a few fingernails that they will feel the hope of Jesus coming from within me.

Oh for the Glory of His Renown!


post signature

No comments: