Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Nothing Like A Little Reality!

Just in case some of you were wondering, I am still alive and kicking! I have enjoyed a busy summer with family and friends. Lots has happened in my life over the past few months and I look forward to sharing some of the details with you in the coming days. Probably the biggest news item is ...

WE ARE GOING TO AFRICA!

I can hardly believe it myself. In my last post I mentioned that the Ugandan Thunder Choir came to my church and I mentioned my desire to go but I really had no idea that that little desire would become a reality! I will share more details about that soon.

Last night something overtook me in the kitchen. I whipped out my apron and started working away at dinner for my family. This was no usual weekday dinner. I was going Sunday lunch style. I decided on a menu of cubed pork tenderloin, homemade gravy, homemade biscuits, butterbeans, rice and corn. I have never made homemade gravy before. I have watched my mother make it occasionally but all my attempts at it have not turned out so well. But last night I felt optimistic and ready to conquer gravy.

I don't know about you but the apron just does that to me. It makes me feel all kitchen superhero-ish. I think I need to start wearing one more often.

I browned my meat in a skillet and then once that was done I removed it from the pan and started to work on the gravy. I did not have a recipe and every time I watched my mom make it she just threw in a little of this and that. So now was my time to see if I could get "this and that" to work out for me. I browned the flour and ran to get the milk and water. At this point I thought I had burned it but I pressed on and added the liquid. And all of the sudden I heard the hallelujah chorus and this appeared before my eyes....






a pan of delicious homemade gravy!


I was practically dancing around the kitchen. I just knew that my family was going to be all "oohs and ahhs" when I sat their plates down. I sit my daughter's plate down and this was her ooh and ahh, "It looks like someone threw up all over my plate and I'm not eating this!"


I fought the urge to liken my delicious food to their works of art they bring home from school asking them how they would like it if I said it looked like someone threw up all over it and that I wasn't hanging it on the refrig... HA!


Oh the joys of being a mom!

I wouldn't give anything for it even if they don't like my gravy!

post signature


No comments: