Wednesday, May 19, 2010

When did it happen?

This Friday my daughter is in the talent show at her school. It really surprised me when she told me that she wanted to try out. She is going to be lip singing to a Kids Bop song called Fire Burning.

Well, she made the cut for the talent show but her music teacher did tell her she needed to get some moves. If you know anything about me, you know that I do not have moves. Oh sure I can move if something is chasing me, but to choreograph a number to the tune of Fire Burning isn't really something I am good at.

Despite my short comings in the dance area, I thought I would give it a try. Today I thought we could just do a run through and get some "moves". I started the cd and gave it a try. My daughter immediately started laughing and telling me how goofy I looked.

Apparently my moves are goofy and something to be laughed at. It kinda hurt my feelings. When did I become goofy and uncool?

Best I can tell, it all happened when I got the name "Mom" a little over 9 years ago.

Then some drama ensued and I had to get a reality check. I got a little to into the talent show and my expectations got a little out of whack. Do you ever do that?

I read a devotion this morning about not letting your tale feathers get ruffled. To step back from the situation and make a choice. Let your head spin around a few time or choose joy or grace or mercy or patience or love.

Today I will be honest and tell you that my head started to spin and then I got a hold of it. I am so proud of my daughter for having the confidence to stand in front of the whole first grade and lip sing to this song. At her age, I would never have dreamed of doing something like that. So I had a real choice to make - ask like a crazy mom or let go of my expectations and let her do it her way. I chose to let her do it her way. She says that the moves will come to her and you know what I bet they will.

post signature

1 comment:

Malissa said...

I bet she will be the cutest little thing you've ever seen before on that stage! Good for you for letting go. Great words of wisdom!! It will be awesome, and I know some people who would love to see it!!