Monday, March 22, 2010

Do we realize what we are allowing?

Today I was volunteering at my children's school. I was helping serve ice cream at an Accelerated Reading Party. The table was loaded with everything yummy; sprinkles, nuts, chocolate chips, oreos, M&Ms, chocolate syrup, whip cream and cherries.

It was so cute to see the children's eyes as they saw everything on the table. I really enjoyed getting to help out.

I had my eyes opened today. As I was serving up the scoops of ice cream one little and let me stress little girl said she really shouldn't. To which I replied, " Oh you can't pass up ice cream especially on a rainy Monday." She then proceeded to tell me that she shouldn't because she was dieting because she really looked horrible in a bikini. I looked at her and my heart literally broke. I told her she did not need to be concerned with things like that at her age.

Isn't that the classic "old lady" thing to say. I was at a total loss of words. I told the lady with me that I couldn't believe what I had just heard. I told her it was the saddest thing I had ever heard.

The truth is the little girl who is in the 5th grade is really beautiful. I mean outwardly she is a very beautiful girl and it breaks my heart that at the age of 10 or 11 she can't see that. All she can see is that according to some crazy Hollywood image, she doesn't measure up.

What are we allowing to happen to our daughters?

The enemy is lying to us and we are believing it!

Do you know why this makes me jump up on my soap box? When I was about that little girls age a boy said he wouldn't like me because I was fat. Up to that point, honestly I really didn't know that I was fat. But believe me once he said it, well I fell for it hook, line and sinker. Do you know what happened as a result? I began dieting and I have been dieting ever since.

As long as we look to this world for our worth, we will never measure up. There will always be someone skinner, prettier, smarter, funnier, you name it. But do you know what I have found out...that girl who looks like she has it all together really doesn't. She thinks her thighs are fat too! And I have yet to meet a women who likes the way she looks in a bathing suit.

I so do not want my daughter to go through the image issues I have. I want her to know that her worth and value comes from Jesus Christ ALONE! And He says that she is beautifully and wonderfully made in His image!

Last year our church hosted The Real Me Conference for teen girls and women. We are starting now to plan for this year's conference. Today confirmed for me how great the need is for a conference like this. Please mark on your calendar The Real Me Conference - Friday, September 17th and Saturday, September 18th. I really hope that you will come and bring a teen girl with you.



post signature

No comments: