Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Perspective Change

Have you ever needed a perspective change?

I desperately needed one the other day. I was rushing out the door to get my children to school when my car wouldn't start. For some reason the cables going to the battery wiggle loose. I know, doesn't that sound just like your mechanic talking. I have learned how to wiggle them and get the car to start. So we are on our way.

Oh wait! I am in a curve going around 20 mph and my cars decides to quit again. Meaning the power steering doesn't work and did I mention that I drive a suburban. So I get it stopped with out taking out any of the neighborhood mailboxes. I go and wiggle the wires some more and off we go.

I was a little nervous because the car has never stopped on me while I was driving. So I slowed down a bit on our drive to school. And then guess what happens...

...my front left tire blows out! It was not a flat tire, it was a major blow out.

When I finally get back home, I dropped to my knees and confessed to the Lord how desperately I needed Him. I mean one doesn't have to be real bright to figure out that I was dangerous on my own that day.

It was one of those days when I did not even have words to say to my Heavenly Father. I just needed Him desperately. I sat speechless for a few minutes and them I asked Him to speak to me through His Word. I opened my Bible and it fell open to Isaiah 40. Please go read Isaiah 40. My favorite verse is verse 12:

"Who has measured the waters in the hollow of his hand,
or with the breadth of his hand marked off the heavens?
Who has held the dust of the earth in a basket,
or weighed the mountains on the scales and the hills in a balance?"
Isaiah 40:12

"Lift your eyes and look to the heavens:
Who created all these?
He who brings out the starry host one by one,
and calls them each by name.
Because of his great power and mighty strength,
not one of them is missing."
Isaiah 40:26

Those verses will give you a perspective change real quick!

I was awestruck by how BIG my God is!

Cup your hand, go ahead and do it. Now look at the hollow in your hand. How much water can you hold? Maybe a fourth of a cup.
My God measured the waters in the hollow of his hand! How big is God's hand?
And guess what? Even on that day when I felt nothing could or would go right, God was holding me in His hand. Now that is comforting!
So take comfort today in knowing that God is holding you in His really BIG hands. And that if He knows the starry hosts by name, dear one I know for certain that He knows you and me by name.
Now, go praise Him for His greatness!



post signature

No comments: