Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Fear or Faith

A good friend of mine did a devotion at my previous job last year titled Fear or Faith. Several times she posed the question, "Are you living by fear or faith?" As I sat in my seat listening it was as if God himself was asking me these questions. I usually would have said faith, but that day I knew God knew the truth and I might as well say it too, FEAR. God used my friends devotion to catapult me into really living by faith. In fact, that day as soon as I got back to my desk I called my boss and asked to come to her office. I resigned from my job that day and stepped out in faith.

I never felt more alive or more scared that day. I was really doing it! I was really going to do this faith thing and walk right into what I thought "our" plans were going to be. It only took a few days before I realized that there was no "our" plans, there was only His plans and they really didn't align all that well with mine.

Shortly after I quit my job this little thing called the economy took a nose dive. I remember thinking "Um God, did you know that the economy isn't really doing all that great and are you sure this was the right time to leave my stable, dependable job?"

"Are you living by fear or by faith?"

See that was one of my biggest fears. What if this whole stepping out in faith doesn't work out and what if we can't survive on one salary, and what if I need to go back to work again. What will everyone think? What if...What if...What if...

"Are you living by fear or by faith?"

It is not easy living by faith, but it is where true freedom resides.

The "what ifs" are suffocating and binding. It is so easy to get tangled up in them. And that is what our enemy, the devil, wants. He wants me bound up and suffocated by my fears because he knows that I am powerless in that state.

But God says in 2 Timothy 1:7 "For God did not give us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind."

I tell you today that you do not have to live a life of fear. It is not what God has planned for you. He desires that we live our lives fully surrendered to Him, walking in His power and truth. It really is where true freedom resides!



post signature

No comments: